Why has the church become increasingly irrelevant? Can it be because we serve and preach an irrelevant god of our own making, rather than the "Holy Holy Holy" God of Scripture?Over in one of my LinkedIn groups, I received a response from Ellen B. that was brilliant in its simplicity:
Assuming this is true (which most of us probably agree that it is), what should we do personally?Well, yes indeed! That is the question, isn't it? Since none of us has been elected Dictator for Life over the church, we don't have the option of emloying all of Josiah's comprehensive national renewal plan, which goes something like this:
- tear your robes
- inquire of the LORD through your local prophetess
- call together all the elders
- read the Scriptures publicly
- renew the covenant
- cleanse the temple
- burn/desecrate the idols, Asherah poles, high places, shrines, etc.
- banish (or otherwise dispose of) the pagan priests
- lead a nationwide Passover celebration
- I must tear my robes! I must fear, honor and glorify this holy, holy, holy LORD Almighty. I must forsake the world, repent, obey, pray, read, love ...
- I must lead my family, teaching them to understand and appreciate who God truly is
- I must use my gifts and talents within the place that God has put me to bear witness to the God who is holy, holy, holy
Oh, and I also have this little blog, which I hope to use to encourage others to do likewise ... :)
Please consider this an "open thread", and post your answers to Ellen's question in the "comments" section below ...